The first few days after having your baby often feel like a blur. Even amidst the joy of your little one’s arrival, lack of sleep and adjustment to nursing always takes its toll.
A few of the things that helped get me through those days with my two babies was help from family, napping when the baby was napping, and having comfortable clothes to wear. Yes, the clothes I wore made a difference! And I felt especially good when those comfy clothes made me feel stylish.
Here are a few go-to clothing pieces that are both ultra-comfortable and nursing-friendly. You don’t have to spend lots of money on specially-made nursing friendly clothes; these are “ordinary” pieces that are nursing-friendly!
Make sure to have a few of these checked off your list before baby arrives, or have a friend run into town to pick up a couple of the items for you. They will go a long way to making you feel great in your body again as the recovery progresses.
- Button-down tops. Some trending button-downs are chambray shirts and any plaid pattern.
- Slouchy tees. These t-shirts fit you just right on the shoulders but widen from there to produce a loose, relaxed look.
- Joggers. These tapered sweats with a banded hem are on-trend and about as comfortable as you can get for postpartum pants. Check these options out on Amazon.
- Extra long coverups. Boyfriend cardigans and crochet fringe vests are great for discreetly covering your bum when all you want to wear are leggings right after baby arrives.
- Button-front dresses. The most common dresses with buttons are shirt dresses. They are comfortable and provide easy access for nursing…avoiding the need to buy expensive nursing dresses.
- Maxi skirts/dresses. Because of their elasticity, these skirts and dresses offer instant comfort and style. Look for maxi dresses with a criss-cross or wrap bodice like this one for easy nursing access.
- Jeggings and leggings. These are every new mama’s obvious friend. And they’re on-trend too! Pair them with long tunic tops or a crochet vest for instant style. Check out these affordable jeggings.
- Comfy shoes. Slip-on sneakers and moccasin slippers are very popular right now whether or not you just had a baby. Enjoy slipping these on for both style and comfort!
- Sturdy waist cincher. Good-quality shapewear was my salvation after baby. I invested in this one after my last pregnancy left me with severe diastasis. It not only allowed my abdomen to heal safely, it smoothed my tummy pooch so that I felt great in my clothes again! It was more than worth the investment!
5 Postpartum Outfits
Here are some adorable postpartum outfits using those pieces!
#1 Chambray Top + Leggings + Fringe Vest + Riding boots
#2 Slouchy Tee + Joggers + Boyfriend Cardigan + Slip-on Sneakers
#3 Button-front Shirt Dress + Quilted or Puffer Vest + Scarf + Moccasin Slippers
#4 White Tank + Maxi Skirt + Denim Jacket + Light Scarf + T-strap Sandals
#5 A Dressier Outfit:
Tunic Tab blouse + Jeggings or Maternity Skinny Jeans + Silicon “Teething” Necklace + Ankle Boots
A comfy “going out” outfit for that first date post-delivery! (The pants are actually jeggings!)
Links to exact pieces
(see more affordable options in the links provided within the list above!)