Your home is childproof, right? Or you have at least thought about childproofing your home, but have you that about your car? Well, you should think about childproofing your car. In addition to child safety and car seat safety for your child’s car seat, the interior of you car should be included in that process.
1. Child-Proof Locks On. Put on your childproof locks on your car door and window. Not sure how? Read your car manual or contact your car manufacture (or Google it). Enabling the child locks on the doors prevent your child from opening the doors from the inside, but you will be able to open the door from the outside. And as your child gets older window locks will prevent kids from getting fingers caught in the window. If nothing else, prevents you from repeating to your child to stop playing with the window.
2. Remove the Stuff. The cup in the drink holder, the tissue box in your car, the plastic bag in the back seat are all dangerous in the hands of a child or in an accident. Remove small and dangerous objects that can be a choking hazard. Remove any loose items that can be thrown around in event of an accident that injury your child or yourself. Need to carry items in the car? Use the glove compartment or your trunk (use the cover for SUV/vans). Soft toys are okay!
3. Be Secure. Check to see if the car seat is installed securely. The car seat (convertible) or base (infant seat) should not move more than 1 inch side-to-side and front-to-back. Check that your child is fastened in their car seat. Unused seat belts should be secured. Consult your car manual for more information about how to lock or secure unused seat belts in your specific vehicle.
4. NEVER. Babies and young children should never be left in the car by themselves.
5. ALWAYS. Check the back seat every time you arrive at your destination in order to ensure that no child is in the car. Keep your purse, cell phone or some everyday essential item in the back to help make it a habit to always check the back seat every time you park! Look Before You Lock.