The time after having a baby is important. Thriving through postpartum also know as the fourth trimester is just as important as the trimester when you were pregnant. We love this Ginger Lentil Soup as a postpartum meal. Traditionally, soups are great for postpartum recovery. Ginger is known to promote and support healthy production of breast milk. It increases immunity. Ginger also has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Ginger is known for its warming quality that warms energy channels and stops uterine bleeding, reduce inflammation and aid in digestion. Lentils are a rich source of dietary fiber. Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition. They are a good source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K, but are particularly rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate and iron.
Postpartum Meals – Ginger Lentil Soup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and soaked
- 1 can diced tomatoes + sauce in
- 2 chopped leeks or large green onions
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp diced garlic
- Juice of one lemon
- Black pepper to taste
- Rinse lentils and soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil, garlic, and leeks/onion over medium-high heat. Cook until soft, add in ginger, then cook another 3 minutes.
- Add in all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro and your choice of toppings.
Wife and mother of twins. Founder of Pride & Joy Baby Planners and The Expecting Mamas Network.